Monday, April 21, 2014

If I had one, this is what I'd be discussing around the office water cooler today.

Just between you and me, I really hate Monday.

I discussed with my brother-in-law last night that if I were to become president, I would mandate three-day weekends every weekend. I'm amazed what one more day will give a person. Actually, I wouldn't mind a rotating three days - work five, off three, work five, off three, etc. The extra day makes all the difference in the world...I was even able to get a walk in each day and catch up on most items.

Ack! It's Monday again, however, and this week is crammed to the top of my sanity. I must say, "I'm surprised there isn't more violence in higher education at this time of the year." As time gets tighter, it seems more and more people schedule meetings to fulfill bureaucratic obligations. I enjoy the company of many of my colleagues, but at this time of the year, I don't think it is healthy to sit together to make more work for ourselves. I'd much rather be by myself getting work done.

I am creatively cranky knowing today begins the frantic pace.

But, I'm holding my breath...this will be over with before I know it. When I think about it, it was much worse while teaching high school. As students did culminating projects, submitted portfolios, and wrapped me with their last phase of senioritis, I also had to do a senior trip, work-in senior awards, chaperone prom, and prepare graduation. I used to think to myself, "Seriously, the life is drained out of me and now I have to make awards for these kids?"

I loved it, but it was too much.

And so it is again. Breathe in. Breathe out. The investment we make into future generations is far more important who we are right now. The goal - make the world a better place one student at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment