Thursday, October 9, 2014

God Only Knows What I'd Be Without Them - The Class of 2001 and the Beach Boys Remake

On my way to work yesterday, I heard that the BBC sponsored a remake of "God Only Knows What I'd Be Without You." When I got home, Meredith Alexander, Class of 2001, sent it to me and asked, "Are you thinking of us?"

I didn't break down in tears, although I did tear up.

The Class of 2001 were my first freshmen class and I taught them during their sophomore, junior, and senior year. It was also my first four years of teaching, so they educated me as much as I educated them, I suppose. Four years is a long time to travel with the same cohort of kids - especially as you experience adolescents through them, see them get into college, and now watch them getting married, having children, and moving on with their lives. It's something.

Either way, this Beach Boys song was one of the songs on the class musical compilation and the remake brings back multiple memories - too many for this time. I write this morning, however, knowing that this rendition, like the original, has a special place in my universe. I remember saying to them, "There will be a day where all of this high school stuff will make more sense." I also told them there would be a time when they were my age. Ha, that crew passed that age a few years ago!

God Only Knows What I'd Be Without Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment