Saturday, January 18, 2014

Friday's always make me want to jump from my fishbowl towards alone time on Saturday

I hear a lot of people say they are introverted extroverts and, at times, I've sort of bonded with that identity. It's hard for me to be around others, because when there are people in the room, I love to hear stories, entertain, and think about other ways of knowing. But on weekends, especially loong weekends (extra 'o' for having Monday off), I find myself wanting space to be with me, myself, and I simply so I can think - especially when the piles of what must get done accumulates for the week.

Here's to productivity today and the hope that out-of-town guests - Brownies, in fact - find their way for a visit on Sunday. Saturday, however, is meant to focus and chisel away at much that must be done.

My administrative assistant said that the first time she met me, the Writing Our Lives conference, she said to herself, "That man is a connector." That's an interesting word to think about as it is similar to what a college professor once told me when I was an undergraduate: "You are a bridge. You work between worlds and help people to see connections." I think I'm starting to understand this now.
Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it - they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That's because they were able to connect experiences they've had and synthesis new things. ~ Steve Jobs
I thought of this Friday night when I was at a volleyball game trying to unwind my brain for the work I know needs to get done this weekend. If I spend so much time connecting, then I need spaces to make sense of what it all means. Yes, I like to joint person A with person B, but for me to realize choice C, me, I need my alone time.

I'm leaping into the 'solo' bowl for the day. That's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment