Sunday, January 12, 2014

Nikki's Senior Varsity Year: Jitterbugging and Waltzing as a Northstar towards the WGI

It's hard to believe that it's been 26 years since Cynde's American Bandstand with Barry Manilow and, now, 26 years later, Nikki is in her senior year of high school beginning her last season with the CNS winter guard. It's even stranger to think that the Northstar tradition has put forth as many years it has in the MidYork/WGI circuit. That's a lot floor dads, moms, (and uncles).

Either way, it seems appropriate to give a shout out to my niece (and her fellow seniors) the morning after her (their) last home show. She (they) spends (spend) a lot of time arguing on whether her (their) rifle (saber/banner) and dance is a sport or not, but one thing is for sure...when it's done right, it is creative and innovative.

Here's to a great season for the varsity team and their weekly advancement with the show. I hope I'm able to make it to at least one this year, but if not, I have the music below to write the show in my head.

Ha! I just noticed something - Larry (their coach) totally made the uniforms this year based on Cécile McLorin Salvant's eye glasses, lipstick and hair color  (I think the team all needs the white glasses too, and the looped earrings!). Seriously - Google her!


No comments:

Post a Comment