Tuesday, February 25, 2014

There's a reason why my mouth is worth more than I am. I grew up with sugar for breakfast.

Last week, the conversation ensued around descriptive language where the topic of asparagus came up. I'm not sure who incited it, but that led the acrid smell of urine after eating asparagus. Without thinking, I added, "I think Sugar Smacks are worse."

Sugar Smacks? What are Sugar Smacks?

Insert, politically incorrect name brand above. They are now Honey Smacks.  There's not sugar in that cereal at all (you can check my dental records for proof of that).

Anyway, realizing almost three decades of youth have gone through childhood since I have, I went to the store in pursuit of a.m. evil - that is, sugar cereal, and it took me a while before I found the Kellogg's frog and puffed wheat covered in....honey. I bought it for the class and it went home with Christian (who pleasantly Tweeted this to me last night).

I'm not sure if this is a test of odors or if he sat in his dorm room acting as a fiend away from his mother and father, devouring sugar cereals banned in his home while he grew up. I await the story that will come later this week. I do know, though, that I'm cheap, but when it builds a story, I am willing to pay $5.14 for a box of cereal. I wouldn't for myself, but to prompt student writing and thinking - well, it's an investment.

Fruity Pebbles are a close second, but Sugar Smacks was the cereal that always made me want to brush my teeth over and over and over again. Then I peed. The smell. That is what I remember most (and the yellow, brighter than Big Bird's tail feathers and louder than George Michael's Wham videos). I am a child of the 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment