Monday, March 17, 2014

A Doll's House at Brooklyn Academy of Music - a late 19th century text by Ibsen

Over the weekend, I attended BAM's performance of A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen. It was a special evening with my friend Judy and her friend, Quinn, introducing me to a text I should have read in all my studies, but somehow was never brought to my attention. I admit, during the first act, I wondered what it was about this story that has brought the plain to the critical claim it has received. Then, during the second act, I realized exactly why. The story is definitely in the trajectory of changing how females are portrayed on stage and, for that matter, the ways they were to be perceived in society.

Our seats were up high, but we still were able to witness powerful performances at the Harvey Theater in Brooklyn. The set was amazing, the acting was powerful, and the state production top notch. It was easy to see why it was standing room only and sold out - the story is extremely relevant to 21st century audiences.

As the NY Times noted,
As played in a galvanizing, star-making performance by Hattie Morahan, Nora is forced into devastating awareness of just how devious she’s become and how warped she has been by the subterfuge.
It was easy to see that I was experiencing pro's at what they do - and I'm now glad that I've experienced Ibsen's text (still shaking my head that this was the first time I've ever had an encounter).

But it's Monday and time to think ahead to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment