Sunday, March 2, 2014

Finding Creative Moments in the Everyday - a life well lived. @kwamealexander

Part One:

I went for a run at 2:40, right before the Syracuse game, as a way to unwind from my laptop and to get fresh air before whatever winter mess arrives tomorrow. After, I got Chitunga because I promised him that we'd watch the Syracuse game together, but trying to kill two birds with one stone, and finding the game on the radio, we chose to practice driving from tip-off to UVA slaughter (is this good for 'Cuse as they find themselves so late in the season? I dunno. It's  only a game) 

Chitunga and I also went to dinner for Chimichangas because I decided Chimichangas with Chitunga was hilarious sounding. At dinner, we had a remarkable talk about time and chronology.  We played a game where we laid out major events of our lives from 1996 until 2014 (the year he was born and I began teaching). We realized that we have a book in us, depicting globalization, urban school experiences, mess-ups in 9th grade, learning, and dreaming. We could use Kwame Alexander's expertise. Investing in this young man is easy; he's someone to watch out for.

Part Two

Vision.  I came home to see that my sister, Cynderballz, was serious about buying white frames for my niece and her friends for their Cecile McLorin Salvant Winter Guard performance to Jitterbug Waltz. They sent me this photograph and it is exactly what I envisioned it would be. Perfect. 

Although campy and probably not part of the vision of their director's program, there's something uniting about these frames that, at least, creates sisterhood and family amongst the wearers. This and the others sent made me feel like I could be with them when I'm a five hour drive away. I am very much looking forward to seeing them in Albany in a couple of weeks.

And, being who I am, too, I also wrote Cecile McLorin Salvant and sent photographs (Now, I wonder if she will respond). Lord, I hope she's not offended, but flattered by the karma these replicas bring to the world (I also told her she needed to order Kwame Alexander's Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band. Perhaps my favorite 'Say Yes' man, cough cough, already sent a copy. I know how much he loves good music, too, especially Jazz, and if the book is ever made into a movie, I know who I'd want on the soundtrack).

And so, yesterday was a good day. I'm feeling creatively inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment