Monday, May 19, 2014

Sporting My Robot Socks @FairfieldU Graduation - What a gorgeous day! Congratulations Fairfield graduates.

After the torrential downpour in 2013, yesterday's gorgeous sunshine, blue sky, and cool May breeze made for a fantastic Sunday on the great lawn of Bellarmine Hall. The graduate students looked superb earning their diplomas and I was proud of my front row seat watching each and every graduate receive their degree in front of faculty, family, and friends who were there to support them. The ceremony couldn't have been any more perfect.

I felt fortunate, too, to get the opportunity to meet Anisa Libuya's family who flew all the way from Zambia to see him receive his bachelor's degree (although I wasn't in attendance for the commencement). Even if I never had Anisa in class, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him as a mentor and through loaning several books to him from my personal library as he worked on his memoir in Sonya Huber's honors course. He truly is one of the most remarkable individuals I've ever met.

The graduation ceremony at Fairfield University - when the weather cooperates - is truly a memorable event. The view of the Long Island Sound, the gorgeous structure of Bellarmine Hall, and the great green lawn are simply stunning. It is a piece of Eden.

I was also thrilled to see Anisa put on his traditional celebration attire at his graduation party after his host mother insisted it was perfect for the occasion. Even better was to continue to make the Zambian connection with Chitunga Chisenga from Bassick High School. Anisa remains a great role model for the possibilities that come through hard work, dedication, perseverance and an intrinsic curiosity about the world.

It is days like this that I feel blessed to have traveled the roads that I have and to have the fortune to meet such interesting individuals along the way.

And it's Monday. Time to get back to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment