Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bumblebees, Sunflowers, Pillows and an Evening with @Paintdeez Art in New Haven. Wusah!

Last night, University of New Haven freshman, Melissa Piehl, teaching extraordinaire, Kathy Silver, and I attended the new solo exhibition of artist Gordon Skinner, Bread and Circuses, at EleMar Gallery in New Haven, Connecticut. The facilities for Skinner's new art debut were spectacular and his new work is definitely worth the trip to the gallery. He continues to amaze me with the way he layers mediums, ideas, and social commentaries about the world as he see it - I can't think of a better way to celebrate a a weekend night, or any night for that matter.

While waiting for Kathy in the parking lot to walk into Gordon Skinner's new show, Melissa and I had fun photographing sun flowers and the ways several bumblebees danced across the yellow energy of the flowers. It is interesting to see bees laboring at this time of year, harvesting all the nectar that they can in the frantic quest to best prepare for the harsher, less fecund months. Bees know best how to suck the marrow out of the summer months.

I couldn't help but think that we, too, were drinking from the vineyards of excellence as we viewed new pieces by Skinner. His pieces always showcase the liveliness of warmer days. We laughed at Metallica dining at the last supper and stood in awe at some of his early first pieces he had exquisitely framed for the showing. I was also glad to see Shante, Gordon's sister, at the exhibit and to catch up with her, albeit briefly, during the showing (she's looking great!).

Shante also shared with me that her brother has returned to making pillows from t-shirt material, a hobby he had begun early in his work. I felt this addition made brilliant contributions when viewed side by side underneath his paintings and collages.

Skinner's work is truly the creation of a one-of-a-kind genius and I always appreciate his whimsical play of color, mixed media, and commentary on the 21st century art world and its influence of pop culture (or is that the other way around). In short, he amazes and inspires me to be more creative in my own work with teachers, students, and writers. I love the way he gets me to think about what is possible.

Skinner's show will be on display at DelEmar at 99 Shelton Avenue from September 20th until October 18th. There, you can see his piece, "Three Legged Woman" - an acrylic paint collage on paper, as well as several other pieces (including his pillows).

Being in the gallery with the artist last night, however, made the exhibition  more special. I am so glad I found the time to be with him, his agent, Bob Albert, and Shante for another phenomenal show. They continue to be very important people to me in my Connecticut life.

No comments:

Post a Comment