Sunday, September 7, 2014

This is the week I am supposed to return to Louisville, Kentucky - my home from 1994 - 2007. Go Cards!

This week, I am heading back to Louisville for a wedding. I haven't been back in several years and  I'm nervous about returning to the territory that once was so central to my entire existence. This was the view from the Clarksville side and it's been seven years since I returned.

The northeast has cooled its temperatures and I am looking forward to a vacation of sorts to my old stomping ground. I am writing with apprehension, however, because it was at the epicenter to all I once was, but so much time has passed and so many amazing things have occurred: a doctorate, new friends, a new job, much scholarship, new writing, a new position, and new experiences.

It's sort of surreal to think about what would have been if I stayed, and what has become because I left in 2007. It's 2014 and I imagine much has changed, as it should have.

It's also complicated to think that 7 years of graduating seniors have occurred, the curriculum has changed, the national fabric has altered, and what I knew as normal is no longer the reality of the city. Still, I consider Louisville to be at the heart of my well being and look forward to soaking up all it has to offer.

Jon Walker, class of 2007, is getting married and I'm proud to celebrate his occasion with him. Still, I'm unsure if I can emotionally and spiritually endure the karma that is to come.

Bottom line, I can't wait to see Sue, Alice and Charlie. Their influence on my life is immeasurable and that is why this trip will be that much more special.

By Wednesday of this week I will be there. I hope to embrace it for all the creativity it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment