Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Thing I Miss Most About a Regular Routine in Louisville Are The Walks and Talks with Sue (Ditto).

As soon as I got on the plane, Sue sent me a text to say that Ditto went into a slump upon my departure (truth is, I slumped as well). Ditto was a peppy vagabond that found his way into the McV household just as I was leaving the 'ville in '07 and was a regular part of the Sunday morning bagel routine and foot romps around Louisville.

He is a very lucky dog, as Sue is a master walker and has scoped out every amazing 90-minute trail in the area - one that keeps the paws poised and the tails in helicopter mode.

I have fond memories of babysitting Ditto and coming home to a home destroyed by him and Baby: pillows everywhere, bookshelves tipped on the floor and puppy dog eyes when I came home to ask, "What the heck is going on in here?"

Who, us?

In The Odyssey, I was always drawn to Oddyseus's return when only his dog recognizes him after all his adventures. Not even Penelope knew it was him. The dog, however, always knows.

Sue was apprehensive about how Ditto would react to me in his home as he has grown somewhat grumpy to strangers in his midst as he's aged. Yet, as soon as I entered my favorite location in Louisville, I was remembered. The joy trickled to his ears, tongue, and tail. I was honored.

And my legs were honored, too. Sue - as always - mapped out several hikes for us and we did as we always did: traveled, caught up, thought together, worked up a sweat (and craving for lots of vegetables), and tried to solve the riddles of the universe.

These are the moments I miss most in my post-Louisville world.

No comments:

Post a Comment