Sunday, September 28, 2014

Committed to #OurNWP for the next seven days, Committed to NWP for life @writingproject

Since 2008 I have been keeping a daily blog to reflect on my personal shenanigans with happiness, karma, Connecticut, cacophony, quirkiness, community and creativity - all elements that continually lead me back to the National Writing Project and its influence on my life as an individual, teacher, writer, scholar and thinker.

For the next seven days, I'm committed to expanding the thunderclap of the work that National Writing Project sites do in celebration of the best network for professional development in the nation.

The National Writing Project is simply astounding and now, more than ever, I want to share its resources with those who believe in the literacy of the United States.

My original writer's notebook from the Louisville Writing Project is on a shelf in my office and my intent is to harvest its seeds for the irreplaceable changes it made in my personal practice. My goal is to find the ways the experience changed my practice sine participating in an Invitational Summer Institute in 2002.  It is the way I intend to celebrate 40 years of National Writing Project work and to see that the work continues to invest in teacher leadership in America's schools.

It is Ubuntu. I am the person I am because of the influence of many, including the stellar educators who mentored me in Louisville, Kentucky and encouraged me with the wisdom, "You need to become part of the National Writing Project. It will rejuvenate the reasons you chose to become a teacher in the first place and reinstate the importance of the work you set out to do."

It is a fusion of teaching, service, and research.

The blogs I've kept since 2008 are a result of the investment made by the National Writing Project, as are the OpEds I've written, the student productions I've produced, the conferences I've hosted, and the research publications and presentations I've made. I see my expertise as National Writing Project's expertise because we are a network of like-minded professionals who believe in the power of writing to achieve the better world we desire.

Here's to the week ahead and to all my colleagues who share in the love of what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment