Saturday, December 6, 2014

Now, This is Not Your Usual Doctoral Student Story #LRA14. But It's A Syracuse Story

Syracuse Alumni and Graduate Students Enjoy Royal Treatment 
When I first arrived to Syracuse University, Kelly Chandler-Olcott teased me with University of Louisville attire, especially during basketball season. I always wore red and black and, to anyone in CNY, that meant I was a traitor.

"I'm not a fan of orange and blue," I told her. I'm loyal to Louisville.

"Hmm mph," she responded, with a keen eye and direct assertion. "I bet that will change after you finish your doctorate."

"Never," was my response. I grew up in Syracuse. Orange and blue was not my thing.

Guess who now wears orange and blue ties whenever he presents?

Yup, this guy. She was right. After experiencing four years on the hill and working with the Reading and Language Arts Center, orange and blue pride has imprinted itself into my wardrobe. Sure, I've always been a fan of the Orange, but to wear their colors? I now wear their colors. I wear them proudly because the Syracuse University family is tremendous and I owe them the world. I get it now. I'm a convert.

Here's the great LRA story, 2014, though. Janine and Sarah, doc students in RLAC who are carrying the traditions forward, awoke to a flooded hotel room. Sarah had to present with Kelly so she quickly scurried to the convention center. Meanwhile, Janine called to complain and, WOLA! they were upgraded by management to the President's Suite - VIP.

Not bad for a graduate student gig. The loft was bigger than my house and the furniture was way nicer. Each of them, in fact, had their own suite within the facilities and each was equally decorative and fancy.

Now, that's what I'm talking about.

You earn a graduate student salary while hustling to get your work done, and it's not often that doorways open to such luxury! I must say, though, it is well deserved.

I present one more time this morning, early, and then head back to the airport for my flight back to Connecticut. This makes 9 conference presentations in three weeks. I'm exhausted and it's time to get home and concentrate on owning a house...that's next on my agenda.

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make the #RLA14 Conference a success. I continue to be inspired by the brilliance of colleagues across the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment