Friday, December 12, 2014

TGIF. I Am Voting For Working From Home Today and Cooking Creamed Potatoes For a Holiday Party. Yup.

Workshop with St. Martin de Porres 8th Graders
I've made the executive decision to work from home today. I've been on the go a lot: at conferences, in meetings, attending schools, presenting, writing, and stressing about the house that is no longer a possibility (thanks, sellers! You can return the cost of inspection now, after stringing me along for months).

I need a day on my arse editing, revising, recommending, grading, and peeling potatoes. It's the holiday office party tonight and I volunteered creamed potatoes a few months ago. I will be willing to take a short break for a festivity if I can accomplish goals and get on top of my academic game.

Today, I had three important meetings simultaneously booked. I missed two, obviously, and then wrote apologies:
I write this feeling like a total schlep. In junior high, I played baseball and once slid into second base around 15 steps too soon. Why? I knew I had to slide, but was thinking about constellations, homework, girls, and books. The sliding ended way before the base and I had to crawl on my hands and knees the rest of the way. The shortstop looked at me in amazement thinking, “What is the goofball doing?” As a result, he never tagged me and I was safe. 
This is the story of my life. 
I missed the meeting today for similar reasons. I was actually in another meeting and missing the third one I was supposed to attend. The post-conference/mid-excitement of CWP-Fairfield news has me living deeply in my head.  
I totally TOTALLY forgot I was suppose to slide down the hill (or up the hill) for today's meeting.  
Am I forgiven or are you looking at me the same way that shortstop did in the 8th grade?
Then I find out one of the meetings I missed was cancelled and I sent this for no reason. I guess I'm still crawling to 2nd base.

I am going to grade today. Yes, that is what I'm going to do. And I'm going to write today. And I'm going to run. And I'm going to make potatoes before I go to a holiday party to celebrate the season.
it's deserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment